Friday, August 31, 2012

Why the BBC top 150?

Today, I started to read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. My mother was very curious as to why that was the book I had in my purse. I informed her that on my 101 in 1001 is a goal to read the BBC top 150 books. She laughed.  I just thought she was mocking my goal to read that many books.

Nope.

She asked why I cared about the BBC. Let me tell you, I had no idea what the BBC was...so I was nonchalant and said because it was cool. BBC isn't anything bad but it's the British Broadcasting Corporation. When I googled (yeah it's a verb) "top 150 books" the first link was BBC's top 150. So, no, there is not any specific tie to the BBC, I just wanted to read the "top 150" in 1001 days. Go me.

Now on to War and Peace...
Everyone who has read it and reviewed it speaks of it as if it's gold. I'm very curious. There are SO many characters in this book but they are ALL very developed and well written. The book is giant. My mother laughed at me because instead of downloading it to my Kindle, I brought the giant book with me in my purse. I love my Kindle, don't get me wrong, but I feel like with classic books, you should own them...and I had already purchased it 2 years ago when I was taking a Literature class and was being ambitious. Obviously, that didn't work.

Today was a pretty good day. I've been unpacking all of my crap and realizing I don't need everything. A lot of what I have accumulated is junk. The other half of it is all teaching related and I have to keep--a file cabinet will be my best friend shortly. I even bought a cute little stamp that says "This Music Belongs To:" to put on ALL of my music. I paid for it. One of my goals on my 101/1001 is to alphabetize my music by title and again by genre. Of course, I can't do them both physically, so I will be creating a GIANT Excel document to catalog it all. That's going to be fun...

I ordered the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Hobbit a couple of days ago, so that after I finish this giant novel of Russian-y goodness, I can move on to another series with even more names to try to remember. :)
That's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment