Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Week of Smoothies

After going to the grocery store to buy some necessary ingredients (most common) for smoothie making, I decided to get busy making smoothies. I've only made four this week...but that's pretty good, I think. I will post the recipes and opinions of all the smoothies I've tried below. Enjoy!

Weight Loss Smoothie:

  • 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
  • 1 Scoop Whey Protein Powder
  • 1/2 Medium Banana
  • 3/4 C Almond Milk
  • 3-5 Ice Cubes

I ended up using an entire banana because it wasn't sweet enough or thick enough. It still tasted a little mediocre, but it was alright. It wasn't very sweet and it had a weird texture. The chia seeds (if you're not used to drinking things with them included) have a very weird texture. But, over all, it was alright and I finished it! 

Banana Goodness:
  • 1 Banana
  • 1/2 C Frozen Raspberries
  • 1/4 C Other Frozen Berries
  • 2 Whole Strawberries
  • 1/2 C Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt
  • 1/2 C Ice (crushed) 
This smoothie was sooo much better than the previous. The yogurt thickened it up and made it a better consistency. The mix of berries was really good and refreshing. Just a tip--if you use ice...get it crushed from the refrigerator instead of crushing it in the blender...not a good idea. Also, cut the strawberries up before tossing them in. Again, this was really yummy. 

The Invigorator:
  • 1 tsp Lime Juice
  • 1 Tbsp Honey
  • 1 Handful Spinach
  • 1 Apple (red or green, doesn't matter)
  • 1 Pear (medium sized)
  • 1 1/2 C Ginger Tea 
    • Boil 2 C water. 
    • Grate 1 inch of ginger root
    • Add grated ginger into boiling water
    • Put a lid on top and let boil for 15 minutes
    • COOL it before making smoothie
  • Ice (as much as you need) 
This smoothie was pretty good. It had a weird texture too, but the taste was good. It was really sweet and I liked that. You could taste the pear and apple and there wasn't an overpowering taste of spinach. I would make it again. It filled me up and I wasn't hungry for like six more hours. Good stuff. 

Breakfast in One Smoothie:
  • 1/4 C Quick Cook Oats (not instant)
  • 1/4 C Nuts (I used pecans)
  • 1 Ripe Banana 
  • 1 C Frozen Fruit ( I used Blueberries)
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt
  • 1 C Vanilla Almond Milk
Okay so I really did like this one, it just took a few sips to get used to the texture. The pecans made it a tad bit bitter but other than that it was pretty good. It didn't fill me up as much as the others so I made 2 eggs to go with it. Good breakfast for me! 


Of all four of these recipes, I definitely think the Raspberry Banana Goodness was the best. The Weight Loss Smoothie was the worst tasting, but it was the best for you in nutrients. Overall, I wasn't disappointed and had a good time! I would recommend that you try them, just for fun :)




No comments:

Post a Comment