Sunday, September 9, 2012

Real Women

I've been thinking on what to blog about for the last couple of days and I have been struck with lame ideas and who knows, this post may just be a fluke, but here we are. I was at Target today waiting for Amanda and Chris to pick me up (we were meeting there so that we could go to the family reunion together). I looked in the movie section to see if there were any movies I just had to have...and there were. They had a really good deal today, I bought six movies (good ones) for $30. I bought Step Mom, Twister (the one that has made me afraid of all storms), Miss Congeniality, Hope Floats, Walk the Line and The Other Woman. I had never seen the Other Woman and Natalie Portman was in it, so I decided to get it. I figured, if I didn't like it, I would send it to Kathryn since she loves Natalie Portman.

Tonight, I popped it into my DVD player and decided to give it a shot. It was such a great movie. In no way am I condoning cheating by any means, but it was such a different type of movie, but so good. Real. Not that "the other woman" should really matter right? I don't think that's true. She's still a person. Yes, she shouldn't have slept with your guy, but she did and this movie is about what happens after. Every woman wishes that the other woman would be unhappy, but, it's not like once they get married that they're going to live happily ever after anyway. It was hard to watch because it was so raw and so real.

It made me think, real women have issues. No real woman is perfect, ever. Sorry guys, that's the truth of the matter. I'm not saying that cheating is right, because I despise cheaters, but, we cannot judge others for sinning differently than we do. My mom shared that with me one night and it struck deep. Just a thought. It really made me stop and think about how I judge others and why--because they do things that I think are wrong. BAM.

Back to women. We're not perfect.

Take me, for example. I have had a very interesting life that has molded me shaped me into the woman I am today. My mom and dad divorced when I was a kid and then both of my parents remarried. I didn't have a relationship with my father, really, until I was 20 years old. I grew up in a single parent home until I was 16. I didn't have fancy clothes and I didn't go to church every Sunday. I had some really rough relationships and not so good friendships throughout high school. I have trust issues and can't make eye contact with very many people. I'm weird. Not perfect. All of my close friends have told me that I have such a kind heart and am a beautiful girl. Why is it so hard to believe people when they tell you those things? Because you don't believe it. Women are their own worst critics.
Period. End of story.

Who wants to be perfect? Everyone. Why? I have no idea, because, perfect is pretty boring, if you ask me. That's why we spend our entire lives striving to be perfect, because it isn't attainable. Jesus is the only perfect thing that has ever walked the earth. Everyone can always work on who they are and strive to be a better person, but until you realize no one can be perfect, you'll kill yourself trying.

I'm a real woman who has issues. Yes, they are a work in progress, every day of my life, but I'm a real woman. The world can just get over it and move on.

Don't judge others because they sin differently than you. Best advice I've ever heard.
Here's to being real.

No comments:

Post a Comment