Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11-Remembering the Tragedy

Last night, I was watching TV and a few 9/11 specials came on--the ones that come on every year, but are just as effective each year as they were the first year they were broadcast. It made me really think about this day 11 years ago. Where was I when the world stopped turning?

11 years ago, I was in sixth grade at Zachary Middle School sitting in Ms. Gray's History class. I remember walking in and taking my seat. Something that day was different. Ms. Gray was white faced and not as excited to see our class as normal. As soon as the bell rang, I remember another teacher came into our room and told her to turn on CNN. All of our 11 year old eyes were watching the first tower falling over and over again. There were some kids crying and some kids just scared to death. I remember a whole bunch of the students were picked up early that day. I wasn't--I was at school the whole day, watching the second tower being hit and then the Pentagon. I remember thinking we were in trouble and I just didn't understand why such a tragic event was happening.

I walked home alone that day. I walked really fast because I was scared and wanted to go home and see my mom. When I got home, my mom had CNN on and I gave her a big hug. Amanda came home and we all watched TV for a long time. They kept saying "terrorists" attacked. I couldn't grasp what that meant and why anyone would do that to our country. To our people. I kept singing Amazing Grace and I prayed that God would help all of those people who were hurt. I also prayed for peace for the families that lost their mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, husbands, etc. in this ugly act.

I personally did not have any family members that were there on that day, but I remember friends who did. I cannot even imagine the pain and heartache of the families who lost loved ones that day.

There was also a spike in the number of people joining the military after 9/11. I have many friends from High School  who joined the military, which to me, is incredibly brave. I don't think I could ever be that girl, I'm not brave enough. Those in the military are a blessing to our country. We are protected by their bravery and their love for America.

I pray that the families of those lost have found peace or do find peace. I pray that we never forget the bravery and the love of those who came together on that day. I am thankful for all of those who responded that day. I am thankful for the love and courage shown by our country afterwards. I pray that each man and woman currently serving in the military knows just how important they are to our country. We are Americans. God Bless America.



I will never forget. I am proud to be an American. I love this country. Thank you to all of the men and woman who have made life so possible. Thank you for showing your love. You will always be remembered.


Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilights last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave? 

No comments:

Post a Comment